- Sail 800 nautical miles from the Azores archipelago to the historic city of Lisbon with the usual wind from the North
- Hands-on sailing experience in all aspects of the ship's life
- When you are not involved in sailing activities there's plenty of time for whale and dolphin watching, fishing, sharing sailing stories by the bar or enjoying a good book
- Sail into Lisbon under the iconic 25 de Abril suspension bridge
- After the end of the journey there's the opportunity to visit Lisbon, Portugal's historic capital city or spend a few days exploring São Miguel's volcanoes and swimming in lava pools before joining us.
NOTE: Excursions off the ship are not included in the price and are to be arranged independently.
In 2016, National Geographic Traveller elected the Santa Maria Manuela archipelago the most beautiful place in the world and there is no better way to reach these islands than on board Santa Maria Manuela.
This 800 nautical miles of ocean sailing is ideal for building sea miles and to obtain tall ship sailing experience. The usual wind is from the north during this journey and we hope to sail all the way with the wind on our beam just like when it was designed to sail 80 years ago when it sailed to Newfoundland on cod-fishing expeditions.
There's nothing our crew likes better than to share its knowledge and experience of sailing this historic ship with our guests, and knot tying classes are a great way to learn a new skill whilst having the opportunity to share sailing stories with your shipmates. If the weather is good you will be able to go aloft or relax in the bowsprit netting. Having a drink at sunset on the deck is the perfect way to round off each day.
2019 marks the 35th anniversary of the ban on whaling in the Azores. Since then the number of whales has grown. As we near the Azores we might get lucky and see some of these magnificent creatures. Sperm whales are the resident species, along with blue, fin and sei whales. Bottlenose, Atlantic spotted and common dolphins are also usual species here at this time of the year.
PREPARING FOR YOUR SANTA MARIA MANUELA EXPERIENCE.
Launched in 1937, and for many decades a flagship for Portugal's cod fishing industry in Newfoundland and Greenland, the renovated Santa Maria Manuela now offers hands-on sailing and island-hopping holidays, diving expeditions and sail training experiences as part of the Tall Ships Races and other festivals.
Many people who step aboard have not sailed before so our professional crew is ready to ensure a both rewarding and fun experience. Guests are invited to get involved in all aspects of sailing if they wish, from helming to trimming sails to taking part in night watches, but all activities are voluntary.
In addition to sailing, each journey may include a range of activities. If the weather and the itinerary allow the ships fishing equipment, kayaks, canoes and two 12-man powerboats are available to those with adventure in mind. Evenings are spent in good company sharing tales of the day's adventures around the bar or relaxing with a good book, playing board games or watching films in the Salon Terra Nova.
Cabins are basic but comfortable, each with a private shower and toilet. Paid for Wi-Fi is available through the ships satellite system.
The Salon Terra Nova seats 40 for meals with cushioned bench sofas also offering enough comfort to relax or to be used for company meetings. Bars on deck and below help to create a relaxed atmosphere.
Food is a key part of the Santa Maria Manuela experience, with the ships cook providing a variety of traditional Portuguese and international dishes.
On a sailing or diving journey we never use the word itinerary, as our captain will always be aiming for the best locations and most idyllic or sheltered anchorages and ports depending on the weather forecast. He is as keen as you to include some of the highlights described, but you have to go with Mother Nature, not fight her. The journey description above is based on what we think might be possible, based on past trips, or experience, but nothing is guaranteed.
The ship is available for individual or group holidays, whole vessel charter, business meetings, events and product launches, and as a location for films.
The crew of Santa Maria Manuela look forward to welcoming you aboard in 2021.
No prior sailing experience is necessary to sail aboard the Santa Maria Manuela. Our crew will invite you to get involved in all elements of the ship's life, and is here to teach you all about the ship and how it sails should you wish, but participation is voluntary.
People of all ages and abilities are welcome to sail with us aboard the Santa Maria Manuela. To ensure everyone gets the most out of sailing with us we ask all passengers to be are independent and mobile.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS JOURNEY:
- All meals on board Santa Maria Manuela – including daily breakfast, lunch and evening meal
- Refreshments (coffee, tea, water and juice) throughout the day
- Use of safety equipment
- All instruction on board by fully qualified crew
- Third Party Liability Insurance
- The ship has 11 x 2 persons cabins, 4 x 4 persons cabins and 1 x 6 person cabin
- Each cabin has a private shower, toilet and comfortable beds set up as bunks
- There is a reading light and power socket (European 2 pin) next to each bed
- Couples have priority in the 2 person cabins. If you wish to guarantee a two-person cabin for yourself (1 person) we charge a 50% supplement. When the 2-person cabins are full, any additional booking will be in shared cabins split between male and female.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Travel to and from the boat
- Personal travel insurance
- Alcoholic and soft drinks at the bar (We run a bar TAB during your journey, payable at the end of your journey in cash or card before you disembark).
- Any excursions and meals on shore
- VISA fees
WHAT TO PACK
This is a list of the items we recommend you bring with you.
- Warm hat and gloves
- Wet weather clothing – waterproof and windproof jacket
- Clothing – enough clothing for all weather circumstances and for sailing at night.
- Soft soled trainers or deck shoes
- Swimming gear
- Sea sickness medication
- Personal medication
- Valid passport with 6 months validity
PASSPORTS and VISAS
If your journey is sailing in foreign waters, you will require a full passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the end of the journey. You will be responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.
We advise all those sailing with us to take out relevant travel insurance.
We have Third Party Liability Insurance to cover all on board Santa Maria Manuela.
Please complete the booking form online in full. It not only gives us important information about how to contact you but also lets us know about any specific requirements you may have.
ANY FURTHER QUESTION
If you have any questions please email email@example.com or call