(Only shared cabins now available)
- Learn to sail the Santa Maria Manuela under the guidance of our professional crew
- Hands-on sailing experience in all aspects of the ship's life
- Sail 210 nautical miles into the North Sea and along the remote Frisian Islands
- Sail in the Tall Ships parade alongside 240 tall and small ships into Bremerhaven, marking the start of the 2020 SAIL Bremerhaven festival.
NOTE: Excursions off the ship are not included in the price and are to be arranged independently
This journey leaves the Dutch port city of Ijmuiden after 3 days sailing in the Channel, North Sea and along the remote Frisian Islands, arriving in Bremerhaven for the start of the SAIL Bremerhaven festival.
We have plenty of time left to sail all the way to Bremerhaven under fair wind with the option to stop on the way. We will not follow a set itinerary hence the captain will be able to find the best anchorage or harbour according to the wind and sea conditions.
There's nothing our crew likes better than to share their knowledge of sailing this historic ship with their guests. During the journey you are invited to get fully involved in all aspects of the ship's life, but all activities are voluntary. Knot tying classes are a great way to learn a new skill whilst having an opportunity to share sailing stories with fellow shipmates. If the weather is good you may also go aloft or relax in the bowsprit netting and to have a drink at sundown at the bar.
On the final day we join all the 240 tall and small ships taking part in SAIL Bremerhaven for a sail into the festival, marking a spectacular finale of the journey.
PREPARING FOR YOUR SANTA MARIA MANUELA EXPERIENCE.
Launched in 1937, and for many decades a flagship for Portugal's cod fishing industry in Newfoundland and Greenland, the renovated Santa Maria Manuela now offers hands-on sailing and island-hopping holidays, diving expeditions and sail training experiences as part of the Tall Ships Races and other festivals.
Many people who step aboard have not sailed before so our professional crew is ready to ensure a both rewarding and fun experience. Guests are invited to get involved in all aspects of sailing if they wish, from helming to trimming sails to taking part in night watches, but all activities are voluntary.
In addition to sailing, each journey may include a range of activities. If the weather and the itinerary allow the ships fishing equipment, kayaks, canoes and two 12-man powerboats are available to those with adventure in mind. Evenings are spent in good company sharing tales of the day's adventures around the bar or relaxing with a good book, playing board games or watching films in the Salon Terra Nova.
Cabins are basic but comfortable, each with a private shower and toilet. Paid for Wi-Fi is available through the ships satellite system.
The Salon Terra Nova seats 40 for meals with cushioned bench sofas also offering enough comfort to relax or to be used for company meetings. Bars on deck and below help to create a relaxed atmosphere.
Food is a key part of the Santa Maria Manuela experience, with the ships cook providing a variety of traditional Portuguese and international dishes.
On a sailing or diving journey we never use the word itinerary, as our captain will always be aiming for the best locations and most idyllic or sheltered anchorages and ports depending on the weather forecast. He is as keen as you to include some of the highlights described, but you have to go with Mother Nature, not fight her. The journey description above is based on what we think might be possible, based on past trips, or experience, but nothing is guaranteed.
The ship is available for individual or group holidays, whole vessel charter, business meetings, events and product launches, and as a location for films.
The crew of Santa Maria Manuela look forward to welcoming you aboard in 2018.
No prior sailing experience is necessary to sail aboard the Santa Maria Manuela. Our crew will invite you to get involved in all elements of the ship's life, and is here to teach you all about the ship and how it sails should you wish, but participation is voluntary.
People of all ages and abilities are welcome to sail with us aboard the Santa Maria Manuela. To ensure everyone gets the most out of sailing with us we ask all passengers to be are independent and mobile.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE JOURNEY COST:
- All meals on board Santa Maria Manuela – including daily breakfast, lunch and evening meal
- Refreshments (coffee, tea, water and juice) throughout the day
- Use of safety equipment
- All instruction on board by fully qualified crew
- Third Party Liability Insurance
- The ship has 11 x 2 persons cabins, 4 x 4 persons cabins and 1 x 6 person cabin
- Each cabin has a private shower, toilet and comfortable beds set up as bunks
- There is a reading light and power socket (European 2 pin) next to each bed
- Couples have priority in the 2 person cabins. If you wish to guarantee a two-person cabin for yourself (1 person) we charge a 50% supplement. When the 2-person cabins are full, any additional booking will be in shared cabins split between male and female.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Travel to and from the boat
- Personal travel insurance
- Alcoholic and soft drinks at the bar (We run a bar TAB during your journey, payable at the end of your journey in cash or card before you disembark).
- Any excursions and meals on shore
- VISA fees
WHAT TO PACK
This is a list of the items we recommend you bring with you.
- Warm hat and gloves
- Wet weather clothing – waterproof and windproof jacket
- Clothing – enough clothing for all weather circumstances and for sailing at night.
- Soft soled trainers or deck shoes
- Swimming gear
- Sea sickness medication
- Personal medication
- Valid passport with 6 months validity
PASSPORTS and VISAS
If your journey is sailing in foreign waters, you will require a full passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the end of the journey. You will be responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.
We advise all those sailing with us to take out relevant travel insurance.
We have Third Party Liability Insurance to cover all on board Santa Maria Manuela.
Please complete the booking form online in full. It not only gives us important information about how to contact you but also lets us know about any specific requirements you may have.
ANY FURTHER QUESTION
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call
Portuguese +351 9380 41284
International +351 9380 40843