The Santa Maria Manuela recognize that travel is different nowadays. The safety of our guests and our crew has always been our priority, but we have added some additional precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (corona) virus aboard the SMM and to minimize the chances of disruption to your voyage.
We follow the safety measures taken by the Portuguese Government concerning the coronavirus, and those of our fellow tall ships and international passenger ships. Under Portuguese law, anyone contracting COVID 19 must isolate for 5 days, so our objective is to do everything reasonably possible to prevent contamination aboard.
Money back guarantee
To ensure that you are completely at ease when you make your booking, and when you join the Santa Maria Manuela, we want to let you know about our money back guarantee and our comprehensive COVID-19 screening, sanitation and separation policy.
We promise to refund 100% of your SMM booking fee if you have any COVID-19 related health problems or are subject to any government induced COVID-19 related travel restrictions. This offer is related only to your SMM voyage booking made on our official website or directly with the SMM. We are not able to refund any external costs including but not limited to travel, accommodation, subsistence and insurance.
NOTE: In such instances, proof from an authorized healthcare or government official will be required before any refund can be issued)
Before boarding all guests must show a digital or paper copy of:
- A negative result of an independently verified ANTIGEN test taken no more than 72 hours before boarding.
- A recovery certificate showing you have recovered from COVID 19 within the past 180 days
- Official medical proof that you have recently had COVID 19, and that your first symptoms were more than 5 days before boarding the SMM (in the case that you are unable to receive your recovery certificate in time for your voyage)
NOTE: You will not be permitted to board the SMM in the absence of one of the above
- All guests are asked to take all reasonable measures to minimize potential exposure for a period of 72 hours before joining the SMM.
- These measures include avoiding large gatherings of people in enclosed areas, and avoiding high risk areas. During this time, when travelling on public transport we advise to wear a mask.
Compliance to SMM’s COVID-19 policy
All guests will be required to follow the standard operating procedures onboard; these include
- Onboard COVID-19 screening, sanitation and separation measures.
- You will be required to sign a policy acceptance form before boarding.
- Any guest or crew not complying fully to these guidelines at any point during the voyage may be required to disembark at the first available port at their own cost.
- All guests may be required to have their temperature taken prior to boarding and regularly throughout the voyage.
- All guests will be required to sanitize hands and shoes before boarding.
- Alcohol gel will be placed at the entrance to all communal areas and on deck, and we ask all guests and crew aboard to sanitize regularly.
- All surfaces and handrails will be sanitized regularly.
- If COVID-19 related travel restrictions prevent us from stopping in certain ports we will do our best to plan alternatives port stops within the existing voyage plan.
- We recommend that you purchase travel insurance to protect you from any losses stemming from unforeseeable circumstances during your voyage when you are off the ship.
NOTE: This policy is regularly reviewed and updated in line with the recommendations made by the Portuguese health and port authorities